Credentials of the Director
Osman F. Güner
Accelrys Inc. – San Diego, California 1996 –2005
Executive Director, Cheminformatics and Rational Drug Design 2002 –2005
• Assumed responsibility for Cheminformatics business area, while maintaining all functions of
previous position. Re-organized poorly performing unit, consolidating multiple groups into one area
in Cambridge, UK, and standardized operations. Recruited new staff.
• Oversaw business performance, product planning & management, marketing functions,
portfolio analysis & rationalization, strategic planning, and more.
• Worked closely with marketing programs manager to formulate new domestic and
international business development strategies. Evaluated markets and ensured products met
• Supervised management team in two countries and set all business unit goals and objectives.
• Improved productivity and performance by focusing on motivation, team building, and
• Grew Cheminformatics business 16% during period of economic depression and built
program into one of company’s most successful areas. Maintained profitability in Rational Drug
Design area while investing in, and redefining strategy of, Cheminformatics.
• Maintained control of about 150 software products across two areas, accounting for 33% of
Director, Lead Identification & Optimization 1999 –2002
• Promoted from Director to Senior Director. Supervised and trained team of Product Managers
and Product Specialists. Managed company’s Modeling and Simulations software systems.
• Achieved average of 25% year-over-year growth, increasing revenue 150% in three years.
• Developed business plans and strategies for each product line. Standardized product
development procedures to improve efficiency and productivity.
• Formulated P&L analyses, market analyses for new initiatives, and $1 million department
• Established objectives for direct reports and managers. Shifted product marketing area focus
from science-oriented viewpoint to more business strategy oriented.
Senior Product Manager, Rational and Combinatorial Drug Design 1996 - 1999
Molecular Simulations Inc. San Diego, CA
• Carried out Product Planning, Management, and Marketing for Rational and Combinatorial
Drug Design software line.
• Forecasted and planned strategic direction and functionality of products.
• Created business plans, pricing/packaging strategies, and product requirement
• Prepared competitive analyses, marketing and technical documents, and white papers.
• Managed daily workflow prioritization and communications within development organization in
order to maximize efficiency and productivity.
• Supervised one Product Manager, and performed extensive training and motivation.
• Grew product revenues 300% in three years, to encompass almost 20% of company sales.
MDL Information Systems, Inc. – San Leandro-CA 1989 –1996
Product Manager/Senior Scientist, ISIS Business Unit 1993 - 1996
• Performed product planning and management for several key product areas (e.g., ISIS/Host).
Planned product functionality and developed future strategies for product lines.
• Coordinated multi-disciplinary teams of developers, QA specialists, marketing personnel, and
• Planned and facilitated development of product interfaces with third-party modeling software.
• Prepared competitive analyses, marketing bulletins, technical documentation, and white
Sr. Applications Scientist, Product Planning & Mgmt. 1989 - 1993
Molecular Design Limited San Leandro, CA
• Identified and evaluated new and enhanced software products for handling information on
chemical substances and their 3D representations. Developed new product demonstrations.
• Authored product description, presentations, technical materials, white papers, and more.
University of Alabama at Birmingham 1987 - 1989
Post Doctoral Fellow
• Performed computational studies on small high energy-density materials in search of new
materials to be used as rocket propellants
• potential energy hypersurface scans of related species using GAUSSIAN-88, -86, -82, AMPAC,
MOPAC, and EXTREME on Cray, VAX and IBM mainframes
• particular emphasis was placed on full potential surface analysis of electron deficient tetra-
Virginia Commonwealth University 1984 - 1986
Mary E. Kapp - Research Assistant
• Conducted theoretical and experimental evaluation of the influence of secondary orbital
interactions in Diels-Alder reactions
• developed a parameter set for a new basis set "STP-6G" to improve the efficiency in MCSCF
Copyright © 2006-2013 Osman F. Güner. All Rights Reserved